In Dec 2007 God spoke to me as my wife and I were driving down the M1 motorway about the economy and coming recession. I do not have a background in economics and was not expecting God to speak to me about this in any way.
What God showed me was that from 2008 onwards there would a bottoming out of the economy. I saw a double zero which I now believe represents a double dip recession. I also saw that the coming recession would be the worst the world had seen since the Great Depression of America which started with the Wall Street Crash at the end of the 20s. Mervyn King, the Governor of the Bank of England said last month that the crisis was the most serious since the 1930s, “if not ever.” Later in Oct 2008 God gave me a significant dream about a coming collapse. I have recorded the dream at the bottom of the update but have not included it here because God wants this message to be clearer:
The Gospel is not affected by seasons of recession, economic meltdowns or credit crunches. Those who rest in the Finished Works of Christ live under a supernatural economy based on what He has done.
There are many people who have prophesied an eventual crash of the economy and I believe that you don’t need to be prophetic to realise that. Rick Joyner wrote of a collapse in his book “Visions of the Harvest” in the late 1980s. In it he describes the collapse of the economy coming like the sinking of the Titanic. He has since gone into much more detail about what he thinks will happen as have others. Advice has come about preparing in the natural- stock up food, get your debt paid off and while this is all helpful the only true preparation can come in learning to rest in the Gospel. The Gospel is the true foundation which will cause us to be able to see hope and not be overwhelmed by fear. Bill Johnson says “you have authority over any storm you can sleep through”.
In the last few weeks the Euro has been standing on the precipice staring oblivion in the face with Italy and Greece dominating the headlines. Things in the natural can appear very bad but one thing I strongly believe about the recession is this: we can stand for hope and victory a midst the doom and gloom of the current climate and live in a supernatural prosperity regardless of the natural circumstances. We must have the Gospel as a foundation in our lives so that we will not be shaken. A revelation of the Gospel will not only be a foundation and anchor in the midst of chaos but will produce a recovery plan.
I believe that out of the revelation of the Finished Works of the Cross a new economic system and solution will be created. This is because those who live under the Government of Christ with a revelation of the Finished Works will not live affected by an economic crash. They will live under a different system, under a different era: The New Covenant. There is not poverty or lack in the New Covenant but there is a supernatural abundance and prosperity which is not changed by natural situations.
Agabus in Acts 11 prophesied that a famine would occur over the Roman World. This did not create fear and scare the believers but instead the believers rose up in the Gospel and were able to ‘provide help’ for people living through this. They rose up in faith and abundance and became a source of prosperity during a difficult time in the natural. This must be our response.
I strongly believe that any recession or economic collapse is NOT God’s judgement against the West. This is because the judgement of the world has already been dealt with in Christ’s death! God doesn’t then think “I’ll do it again but this time punish the people!” Christ took away judgement from the world and instigated Grace over Law. There is a very good podcast teaching by Kris Vallotton from Bethelon this subject. It is dangerous to prophesy God’s judgement over a nation and predict the destruction of it or its economy. Those that do this are coming very close to standing in alignment with a Terrorist Spirit that wants to destroy and create chaos. This is not the heart of God! He already Judged the world and sits on the Mercy Seat.
If the economy crashes I believe it is the results of the principles of sowing and reaping. The creation of a poor economic system with little regulation has been abused by some people on the inside to make billions of pounds and it has been pushed to breaking point, bowing under the pressure of debt. What has been sown is now being reaped with recession and the possibility of a double dip.
God wants us to rest in Him and what He has accomplished regardless of what is taking place in the natural. We have been seated in Christ through His death and this does not change when things get tough. When we live from this place we begin to see it manifest in our lives. I know that those who are living in this revelation will receive a revelation about a new economic system. A Daniel/ Joseph character will emerge and have great influence in the corridors of power of the economic world. The new system will be based on the Kingdom principles of the Gospel, rest and sufficiency. It will be taken up and used in the economic system of the world.
Below is the dream I received:
On Tues 29th Oct 2008 I was praying and I asked God to speak to me that night in a dream about what ever he wanted to talk to me about. He spoke to me that night through a very disturbing dream about the economy. In it I saw 3 clear snapshots representing 3 stages of economic meltdown:
- I saw an economics reporter speaking on the BBC News with a graph behind him. He was describing how businesses were making 10% of the previous year. They were making in that year what they had made in a month the previous year. I could see the graph and the changes in it. (In the morning I drew the graph in my journal at the time but didn’t understand it. Looking back at it now it describes a clear double dip.) The economy dominated the news and there was an overwhelming sense of fear. Things were happening so fast that the News Readers were watching to see what was happening and were really worried. In the dream I was watching the news with some prophetic people but we were unable to see the significance of what was happening. We were saying “maybe this is it!” We were expecting a collapse to happen but couldn’t actually believe it would take place. Other people were standing around and had been consumed with anxiety. Some people had had a breakdown.
- The dream shifted and I was sat on a large passenger plane travelling long distance. Passengers were worried that during the flight the airline would go bankrupt. Suddenly the airhostesses put on their jackets and all sat down and said “the Airline has gone bankrupt; we are not serving anything now” and everyone on the flight was shocked and panicked. The airhostesses were not worried about being sued by the passengers because legal firms had gone bust. It was clear that society infrastructures were beginning to unravel.
- The third snapshot showed me there was a communication blackout because the internet had failed. People lost contact with family members in other parts of the country. People were worried about looters breaking into houses unchallenged by any police authority.
In this part of the dream I was talking to prophetic people who were seeing large tsunami waves breaking out at sea. They could see them breaking far out but didn’t know whether what they were seeing was right or not. They kept saying “Is this a real manifestation?”
Whether this dream refers to literal events that are going to take place or is symbolic there are a few themes that stand out:
- The prophetic people could not believe what they were seeing.
- Our society is built upon certain human systems we take for granted which may not always be there.
We must rest in faith in the Gospel which will not be shaken and is eternal.
Philip Smith, 13th Nov 2011